Mirchi ka Salan – Anything cheap meals than this?
Mirchi ka Salan is a delicious vegetarian delicacy from Hyderabad. There are various versions of Mirichi ka Salan. This recipe is a try from the VahReVah video by Chef Thumma. It turned out to be real awesome in taste and is one of the healthy dinner recipes one can try out at home. To be very true, this is not a low calorie meal, since the recipe here is a Royal Mirchi ka Salan recipe, which includes peanuts and sesame seeds as well. But, the recipe for sure is worth a try.
Recipe – Mirchi ka Salan
15 minutes for preparation, 30 minutes for cooking
- 7-8 not much spicy big green chilies
- 1 onion
- 2-3 spicy green chilies
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp seasame seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 red chilies
- Pinch of methi (fenugreek) seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbsp oil
- Roast peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut powder. Let it cool.
- Then make a paste of the peanuts, sesame seeds and coconut powder adding little water.
- Chop the onions in thin slices. Make a cut mark on the big green chilies and de-seed them. Chop the spicy green chilies in to slices.
- To a pan add oil let heat to medium heat, and add the de-seeded big green chilies. Saute for 1-2 minutes and set aside on a tissue paper to ward of excess oil.
- Now to the remaining oil in pan, let it heat. Then add the mustard seeds, red chilies and methi seeds (do not add too much of methi seeds or the curry will turn bitter).
- Then add the sliced onions and cook till the onions start turning brownish in color.
- Now add the curry leaves. Now, fry till onions are brownish
- Add ginger garlic paste and let cook until smell is gone
- Add turmeric powder and red chili powder
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, some green chilies
- Now add the prepared paste and add water till it becomes a thin curry.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cook for 30 minutes till oil separates. Now, add the chopped mint and coriander.
- Add beaten yogurt and bring the whole curry to a boil. Now, let it simmer it for 4-5 minutes.
- Add de-seeded fried chilies in the curry. Let simmer for a few minutes. Cook till the chilies are little soggy but, not too much.
you are now ready to serve the hot and yummy hyderabadi mirchi ka salan with hot rice, biryani or pulao.