South Indian Chicken Dish – Coconut Flavors
Chicken Chettinad is a delicious, brown fiery chicken curry of south India. The yummy chicken with flowers of coconut and the kick of black peppercorn gives the chicken chettinad an entirely different flavor. The yummy chicken chettinad is best when served with rice. The yummy recipe was tried from one of the recipe books of Nita Mehta. Enjoy the delicious chicken chettinad.
Recipe – Chicken Chettinad
15 minutes for preparation, 25 minutes for cooking
- 500 grams chicken
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 cup curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 1/2 inch ginger
- 5 flakes garlic
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 3 red chilies
- 2 gram cardamom
- 2 cloves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Slice the onions finely.
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Grate the fresh coconut and keep aside.
- Prepare a paste of ginger and garlic.
- Coarsely grind the coriander seeds and the fennel seeds together.
- Peel the gram cardamom and crush it coarsely.
- Crush the cloves coarsely.
- To the pan add oil and let it heat.
- Add the crushed coriander and fennel seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add the crushed cardamom and cloves and saute for a minute on low flame.
- Add the onion slices and the curry leaves and cook until the onion starts turning brownish in color.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until the chicken turns whitish.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and let cook till the tomatoes and let cook till the tomato is soft.
- Add the ginger garlic paste, grated coconut, red chilies, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add water and milk and cook for another 5-6 minutes on high flame.
- When ready to serve, add the lemon juice and freshly crushed black peppercorns and serve the chicken chettinad hot with boiled rice.
Recipe By: Priya Chepte
Image By: Priya Chepte