You never know when you fall in love with a dish and this is one of them !!
Mango is the king of all fruits and the national fruit of India. Raw mangoes are useful to beat the summer heat and can be used to prepare a number of dishes. Sweet Mango Pickle is an easy to prepare dish from raw mangoes and can be preserved throughout the year and is best when served with Lachcha Parathas or Roghini Paratha.
Recipe – Sweet Mango Pickle
30 minutes for preparation, 45 minutes for cooking
- 1 kg raw mango
- 2 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3-4 red chilies
- 6-7 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black salt
- 1 teaspoon jeera powder
- 4-5 green cardamom
- Wash the raw mangoes properly.
- Pat them dry with a clean dry towel.
- Peel off the skin from the mangoes and grate them and keep aside.
- Keep a wok on a medium heat and let the wok heat a little.
- Add the grated mangoes to the wok and mix well. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the sugar and let the sugar melt into the wok. Reduce the flame.
- Let cook for 15 minutes more on low flame. Keep stirring lest the mixture may stick to the bottom of the wok.
- Once the mangoes start changing color, add white vinegar to the wok. Let cook for another 20 minutes on low flame. Keep stirring at frequent intervals.
- Now add red chilies, crushed black pepper, crushed green cardamom seeds, salt, black salt, jeera powder and mix well.
- Once added, mix well and let cook on low flame until the whole mixture is reddish brown in color and has attained a thick consistency. Your sweet mango pickle is now ready.
- Remove it from the heat and let cool.
You can now preserve the sweet mango pickle in a dry glass bottle for later use. Sweet Mango Pickle is best when served with Lachcha Paratha or Roghni Paratha.
Recipe By: Priya Chepte
Image By: Priya Chepte