Aubergine – A vegetable that can be used in n number of ways.. Simply love it !!
Stuffed Aubergine is one of the inventions trying to make a recipe of eggplant (baigan)and cottage cheese (paneer). The recipe involves cooking and then baking the eggplant and the cottage cheese. The dish is awesome treat to the taste buds and is easy to prepare too. This was a challenge by my spouse to make something mixing both the aubergine and the cottage cheese.. could think of nothing better than stuffing that up and serving it with a chutney.. 😉
Recipe – Stuffed Aubergine
30 minutes for preparation, 30 minutes for cooking
- 2 medium size potatoes
- 200 grams cottage cheese
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 50 grams dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon jaggery
- 1 big round brinjal
- 1 small bottle gourd
- 3 flakes garlic
- 2 green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 50 grams yogurt
- 1 small cucumber
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- 5 strand coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoon refined oil
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Boil the potatoes and let it cool.
- Cut the eggplant and the bottle gourd into thick round slices (around 1.5 cms thick) and scrape of the inner material from the cut discs of eggplant and bottle gourd. Apply some salt and keep them aside.
- Grate the cucumber and leave it aside for 5 minutes.
- Press out the water secreted by the cucumber with your hands.
- Hang the curd for 20 minutes in a muslin cloth.
- Chop green chilies, garlic into tiny pieces.
- Peel green peas and keep aside.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and mix them with cottage cheese.
- Now mix well the chopped green chilies, garlic, green peas, cornflour.
- Make the mixture smooth by pressing it with a spatula or spoon. Add salt to taste, garam masala, red chili powder and coriander leaves.
- Now, take the hollow discs of eggplant and bottle gourd and fill the mixture in it tight.
- Press the mixture in the hollow space in the discs so that they are tightly packed.
- Mix thoroughly grated cucumber in curd with some salt to taste.
- Mix well the jeera powder, red chili powder to taste, salad mixture.
- Chop the tomatoes and dried cranberries into small pieces.
- Add oil to the frying pan a place the filled discs of eggplant and bottle gourd in the pan slowly. Let them cook at medium flame for nearly 5 minutes. Turn the discs and let them cook again for 5 minutes. Be careful while picking up the discs from the pan, lest you end up dropping the filling in the pan itself.
- Add oil to the baking tray and place the discs from the pan on the baking tray. Place the baking tray the oven and let it bake for 15 minutes at 120 degrees centigrade.
- In the frying pan add 1 spoon oil and the asafoetida and fennel seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add tomatoes cut in small pieces. Let the tomatoes cook for a few minutes and crush them with a spatula.
- Add the cranberries to the pan and let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add jaggery to the pan and let it melt. Sprinkle 1 pinch salt over it and let cook until the chutney is dry.
Recipe By: Yogesh Singh
Image By: Yogesh Singh