Love for food is great, but for a healthier dish is better !!
Palak Gosht also known as Spinach Mutton is a famous Indian dish and easy to cook too. It is best cooked in a wok so that the color of the spinach is maintained and acids secreted by the spinach causing acidity evaporate. Once 80 percent cooked move it in a pressure cooker for the mutton to cook properly. In Indian meat recipes this is a popular one. You can make it as hot or as mild, as you want.
Recipe – Palak Gosht
10 minutes for preparation, 45 minutes for cooking
- 1 kg mutton (goat/lamb meat )
- 1 kg spinach leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2-3 cloves
- 3-4 black peppercorns
- 2-3 large size onions
- 2 large size tomatoes
- 13-14 cloves of garlic
- 2 inch size ginger cube
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon red chiili powder
- 2-3 tablespoon corriander powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garam-masala powder
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon refined oil
- Salt as per taste
- Chop the onion into thin pieces and deep fry them till brown in color.
- Make a smooth paste with onion, tomato, garlic n ginger.
- Remove excess fat from the mutton pieces and wash well.
- Heat both refined and mustard oils in a large wok.
- Add all the bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, red chilies, cloves, black peppercorns and saute for 1 min.
- Add the paste prepared. Add all dry masala along except garam masala powder. Stir fry for 5-10 min.
- Add mutton and spinach and fry them all together. Spinach is going to loose lot of water, so stir frying will take time. Mix well and fry till the water is nearly dried up from spinach. I don’t dry it completely.
- Once it comes to curry like consistency, put everything along with the fried onion in pressure cooker.
- Add little water if required, pressure cook it for 15-20 min or till the meat is cooked properly.
- Add garam-masala powder in the end.
You are now ready to serve Palak Gosht hot with Tandoori Rotis.
Recipe By: Yogesh Singh
Image By: Yogesh Singh