A pasta that will tickle your taste buds forever !!
Macroni Florentine is one of the best pasta dishes I ever had. The dish requires a little effort to prepare, but it is worth it. Macroni Florentine has a lovely white sauce, addon with spinach and mozzarella cheese which gives the dish an unique flavor. Kids do like the dish and is healthy for them too. The recipe of macroni florentine was aired on Zee Khana Khanzana some time back. The word florentine means toss of ginger, onion and spinach and hence is the name called Macroni Florentine.
Recipe – Macroni Florentine
20 minutes for preparation, 20 minutes for cooking, 15 minutes for baking
- 300 gram spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cup macroni
- 2 tablespoon maida
- 300 ml milk
- 10-12 garlic flakes
- 2 medium size onions
- 1 cup mozarella cheese
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon type
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Heat water in a pan and add some salt.
- Now add the spinach leaves to the pan and blanch for 2 minutes.
- Sieve the spinach and then cut the spinach into tiny pieces.
- Heat water in a pan, add some salt and oil to it.
- Now add the raw dried macroni to it and let it boil until 90 percent done.
- Sieve the macroni and sprinkle some oil on the macroni. Toss well and keep aside.
- In a pan add butter, maida and cook till the maida is cooked; i.e. the smell goes away. Add milk and cook on low flame till the sauce thickens.
- Chop the garlic and onion into tiny pieces. Grate the mozzarella cheese and keep aside.
- In a different pan add olive oil, then add garlic and saute for some seconds. Add onion to it and saute for next 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sliced spinach to it and cook for next 4-5 minutes. You should cook this stuff until the spinach is dry enough, since this will be the base of the recipe. Once cooked keep the spinach mixture aside.
- Now clean the pan and add butter to the pan. Add garlic and onion and saute for a few minutes.
- Add macroni and mix. Let cook for 2 minutes. Now, add crushed white pepper; in case white pepper is not present you can also use the crushed black peppercorns.
- Add salt, Italian seasoning, thyme, basil, rosemary and mix well. Now add the white sauce prepared from milk to the pan and mix well. Cook until a bit dry.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Now we need the layering to be done. In case you donot have a deep baking tray, you can prepare a baking tray using aluminum foil nearly 8 inches by 6 inches and 2 inches deep.
- Brush oil on the inner side of the baking tray.
- Now add the first layer at the bottom of spinach mixture prepared. The second layer will be of macroni and the top most layer of mozzarella cheese. Now place Macroni Florentine in a preheated oven and bake it for 12-15 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Sprinkle the italian seasoning on top.
You are now ready to serve the hot Macroni Florentine.
Recipe By: Yogesh Singh
Image By: Yogesh Singh