Perfect dish to gain calories !!
Creating the kaju ki sabzi a few days back, just wondered if my favorite chicken can be cooked with cashew nuts. Thinking of a recipe how to make it; ended me up with a pan on the stove. Mixing spices, roasting cashew nuts, etc.. not really sure what I would end up to; but it turned out to be one of my loveliest creations. Best when served with hot tandoori rotis.
Recipe – Kaju Chicken
20 minutes for prepartion, 45 minutes for cooking
- 1 kg chicken
- 250 grams cashew nuts
- 3 large onions
- 4 garlic flakes
- 1/2 inch ginger cube
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 black cardamom
- 4-5 green cardamom
- 1-2 cloves
- 2 paththar ke phool
- 1/2 mace flower
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 1/2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp cream
- Make gashes on the chicken pieces and marinate it in lemon juice, salt and red chili powder for 15 minutes.
- Roast the bay leaf, corainder seeds, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, black cardamom, cloves, paththar ke phool and mace flower together. Let it cool. Then crush it coarsely. Mix with the garam masala and soak it in water.
- Prepare a fresh paste of ginger and garlic.
- Peel the onions and chop them in quaters. Separate the skins.
- In a wok boil water. Put the peeled onions in the boiling water and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Sieve them and let it cool. Make a paste.
- Make a paste of cashew nuts and set apart.
- In a pan add ghee and let heat. Now shallow fry the chicken pieces until brownish red in color. Remove them from the pan.
- In the remaining ghee, add the onion paste and cook on low heat for around 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Now add the ginger garlic paste prepared and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the masala paste prepared and mix well. Cook until the spices start oozing oil by the sides of the pan.
- Now add the cashew nut paste prepared. Cook on low-medium flame for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Now add the chicken pieces and cook on low flame for another 2-3 minutes. Add little water, and mix well to avoid sticking of the gravy at the base. Cook until the chicken is done.
- Add the cream to the gravy and mix. Let cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
You are now ready to serve the hot and yummy Kaju Chicken garnished with fried onions and chopped green chilies with hot Tandoori Rotis. Tandoori rotis can be prepared at home even without tandoor at the following link: “Tandoori roti without tandoor”.