Harissa – A Kashmiri Delicacy worth trying !!
Harissa also known as Hareesa is a delicious Kashmiri recipe of goat meat or mutton. The dish requires patience and is time taking but is worth it. Harissa is a yummy treat to the taste buds and can be served with naan or pita bread. Harissa is served with seekh kababs in the original kashmiri dish. Hope you enjoy the delicious dish.
Recipe – Harissa – Hareesa
10 minutes for preparation, 150 minutes for cooking
- 900 gram mutton(goat meat)
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium onions
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1 pinch cinnamon stick
- 2 big black cardamom
- 8-9 small green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon shahi jeera
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 2 cup oil
- 1 spanish onion
- Cut two onions in quarters.
- Slice two onions into thin slices.
- Clean all the fat from the mutton pieces and keep aside.
- Make garlic paste of the peeled garlic.
- Put the following ingredients in pressure cooker mutton, garlic paste, quarter onions, black peppercorn, small green cardamom, black cumin seeds (shahi jeera), fennel seeds, cloves, cinnamon (dalchini), big black cardamom, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Now fill the cooker with water such that everything is soaked deep into it.
- Place the cooker on medium-high heat and let cook for two whistles.
- Reduce the flame now and let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Turn off and leave till the pressure releases.
- When the pressure is released and the stuff cooled inside remove the cardamom, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and cloves.
- Remove the bones from the meat. Separate the broth from the pieces.
- Now using a blender or mixer grind the mixture coarsely using both if needed. Now add wheat flour to broth (1 cup) and let it boil.
- Mix this boiled wheat flour with blender meat and grind both of them together.
- Now, take a nonstick pan and put the whole mixture in the non-stick.
- Now, cook the whole stiff for nearly 45 minutes stirring frequently. When the required consistency is achieved switch of the flame and keep the harissa aside.
- When serving heat about 1 ½ cup oil and fry the thin slices onions till golden brown. Mix this with meat mixture.
You are now ready to serve the hot harissa with seekh kabab. You can also serve the harissa with naan or pita bread.
Recipe By: Yogesh Singh
Image By: Yogesh Singh