The most hated one, but the healthiest one. I can taste better!!
– The Bottle Gourd
Besan wali Lauki is a dish I loved to have when my manager used to bring it in his tiffin for lunch. Though have been a person who has hated bottle gourd for years, but this dish changed my view about the humble vegetable. The delicacy is best served with hot chapattis. Kids even love this delicacy and is healthy too. Hope you enjoy the yummy besan wali lauki !!
Recipe – Besan wali Lauki
20 minutes for preparation, 10 minutes for cooking
- 1 bottle gourd
- 1 big onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 inch ginger cube
- 5 flakes garlic
- 2 tbsp besan (gram flour)
- 7-8 strands coriander leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- You need to select the lauki (bottle gourd) which is soft. In case you don’t get a soft one you have no option but to pick up the hard one. Peel the lauki and chop it into small cubes and set aside.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes and set aside.
- Chop ginger and garlic into small pieces.
- Roast besan (gram flour) on a pan until you can smell the aroma and set aside to let it cool.
- Chop coriander leaves and set them aside.
- In a pressure cooker add oil and let heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Add the onions and let them cook until pinkish in color.
- Now add the tomatoes and mix well. Let cook until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the chopped bottle gourd and mix well. Let cook for another 3-4 minutes mixing well. Add garam masala and then the roasted besan to the cooker and mix well. Let cook for another 2-3 minutes and then add water to the dish to make the gravy. The dish will not have curry so add the water carefully.
- Add salt to taste.
- Now pressure cook the dish for 2 whistles (in case the bottle gourd is hard you can use 4-5 whistles). Once done, let the pressure be released.
- Add the chopped coriander and mix well.
You are now ready to serve the healthy and yummy besan wali lauki with hot chapattis.