The delicious bitter gourd cooked with jaggery gives an awesome treat to the taste buds!!
The recipe of sweet bitter gourd is easy to prepare and healthy for all of us. Bitter Gourd is a vegetable which majority of the people don’t like including me. However, bitter gourd has a lot of medicinal benefits including blood purification too. It was a real challenge to make bitter gourd lovable but finally found a recipe worth trying. The recipe of sweet bitter gourd gives a unique taste to the dish. The recipe below gives a minor bitter and sweet-sour taste which gives the dish an unique blend of taste. You are sure to love this recipe. Just gather the guts and give this recipe a try !!
Recipe – Sweet Bitter Gourd
15 minutes for preparation, 10 minutes for cooking
3 medium size bitter gourd
8-10 baby onions
1/2 raw mango
2 tablespoon jaggery
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
Salt as per taste
2 tablespoon oil
2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Scrape the bitter gourd. Cut it into round this pieces of nearly 1 cm thickness. Sprinkle salt to the sliced bitter gourds and mix with your hands and keep it aside for some time, better if it can be kept under the sun for a few minutes. Keeping the bitter gourd with salt applied under the sun, reduces some bitterness of the vegetable.
- Cut the baby onions into halves.
- Cut small pieces of the raw mango.
- Soak the jaggery in water for a few minutes.
- Add vegetable oil in the frying pan and let it heat.
- Now, add the coconut oil and let heat. Add the fennel seeds and once the splutter, add onions in the oil and saute it.
- Add the salt applied bitter gourd to the pan.
- Also, add the cut raw mango. Let it fry at medium heat with a covered lid.
- Cook till the bitter gourds are nearly 80 percent cooked.
- Add jaggery soaked in water to the curry. Mix well and let the jaggery melt and mix.
- Cook until the jaggery water evaporates.
You are now ready to serve the sweet bitter gourd with hot chapatis.
Recipe By: Yogesh Singh
Image By: Yogesh Singh