Sunday ho ya Monday, roj khao andey !!
In West Bengal in India, and especially Kolkata, “egg roll” refers to a fried egg wrapped inside a paratha made of all purpose flour. The roll filled with sliced raw onions, sliced green chilies, sliced cabbage, sliced carrots and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice gives the dish a yummy flavor. The egg roll is a speciality of Kolkata which you can find in nearly every next corner. Hope you enjoy the lovely recipe !!
Recipe – Kolkata Egg Roll
15 minutes for preparation, 10 minutes for cooking
- 6 medium sized eggs
- 250 grams all purpose flour
- 1/4 medium size cabbage
- 1 medium size carrot
- 1 large size onion
- 3 green chilies
- 4 pieces garlic
- 50 grams coriander leaves
- 1 small size tomato
- 1 lemon
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chat masala
- 5-6 tablespoon oil
- Shred the cabbage.
- Slice the carrots into 1 inch thin pieces.
- Slice the onions into this pieces.
- Cut 1 chili, coriander leaves into small pieces.
- Mix all the sliced vegetables well.
- Prepare the green coriander chutney grinding fresh coriander leaves, garlic, tomatoes, green chilies, salt as per taste and water together.
- Prepare the dough of all purpose flour and little salt, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, make thin chapattis using the dough of all purpose flour.
- Cook them on a pan from both sides and keep aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and salt as per taste.
- In a frying pan, add some oil then add some whisked egg. Let cook for some 10 seconds.
- Place the semi-cooked chapatti over the uncooked part of the egg and let it cook.
- Add oil with a spoon on the open side of the chapatti and turn is upside down. Cook till the egg is completely cooked and the other side, i.e. the chapatti side turns little reddish. Take it away from the flame and keep aside.
- Add 1 teaspoon tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon green chutney and spread it on the egg side.
- In the center place the sliced vegetables. Squeeze 1/4 medium size lemon on the vegetables. Sprinkle chat masala on the sliced vegetables.
- Make it in the shape of a roll.
Cover one end with a paper napkin and serve the Kolkata Egg Roll hot with green chutney, red chili garlic chutney and tomato sauce.