The king of fruits – Mangoes when raw give one of the best flavors !! Better if we could call them king of vegetables too
Khatta Meetha Aam is a delicious chutney of raw mangoes which is an easy to prepare recipe can be preserved for a week or two. The mango is fried and mixed with jaggery, which gives the mangoes a sweet flavor with its own sourness. The taste is yummy and is best when served with Lachcha Paratha or Roghni Paratha. Khatta Meetha Aam takes a few minutes of preparation and is a treat to the taste buds and is healthy too.
Recipe – Khatta Meetha Aam
30 minutes for preparation, 30 minutes for cooking
- 400 grams raw mangoes
- 6-7 garlic flakes
- 100 grams jaggery
- 50 grams peaut chikki
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon onion seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoon oil
- Peel the raw mangoes and cut slices out of them.
- If possible, slice 8 vertical pieces of each mango.
- Remove the seeds from the manoges and keep aside.
- Peel garlic flakes and keep aside. Crush the jaggery and soak it in a bowl of water.
- Crush the jaggery chikkis having peanuts separately.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to a pan and let heat.
- Add the raw mango slices to the pan and fry them a bit.
- When done, remove then on tissue paper to ward of excess oil.
- To the pan add 1/2 tablespoon oil and let heat.
- Then add onion seeds and fennel seeds (saunf). Let them splutter.
- Add peeled garlic flakes and saute them for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Now, add the crushed jaggery soaked in water along with the crushed peanut chikkis.
- Let the jaggery melt completely. Now add salt and water to the pan till the consistency you require is achieved.
- Add the white sesame seeds, fried mango slices and let the whole mixture come to a boil. Let cook for another 5 minutes after the boil starts.
You are now ready to serve the khatta meetha aam with Lachcha Paratha and Roghni Paratha.
Recipe By: Yogesh Singh
Image By: Yogesh Singh