The villages give us some best recipes at times !!
Green Pea Dal generally known as pnemona in the villages of North India is a fresh green pea dal, having the sweetness of soft green peas and the spicy tingy flavors of the spices. The dish is best when served with boiled rice. The green pea dal is best when cooked in earthen pots. The smell of the earthen pot, gives it an unique flavor. Hope you enjoy the recipe!!
Recipe – Green Pea Dal
15 minutes for preparation, 30 minutes for cooking
- 200 grams peeled green peas
- 1 inch ginger cube
- 6 flakes garlic
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 tomato
- 2 potatoes
- 3-4 cauliflower florets
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- Crush the fresh green peas, ginger, garlic, chilies and tomato into a rough paste.
- Slice the potatoes and cauliflower into medium pieces.
- Add oil to a wok and let it heat. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, potato and cauliflower slices and saute them till 70 percent cooked.
- Add the ground paste to the wok and let cook for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Once the whole material starts changing the color, add turmeric powder, salt to taste, garam masala powder and let cook on medium flame for another 5 minutes. The mixture will start oozing oil.
- Add nearly 2 cups of water and cover the wok with a lid. Let cook for 15 minutes on low flame.
You are now ready to serve Green Pea Dal with boiled rice!!