Gatta Curry – Yummy Rajasthani Dish
Gatta Curry is one of the famous dishes of Rajasthan. The dish is easy to prepare and can be prepared in few minutes. Gatta Curry is prepared by Gatta made out of besan. These are a number of variations of Gatta and can be varied in spices based on the taste required. The whole dish is prepare with ghee and gives a yummy flavor to the Gatta Curry.
Recipe – Gatta Curry
15 minutes for preparation, 30 minutes for cooking
- 1 1/2 cup besen
- 1 inch ginger cube
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon haldi powder
- 1 pinch soda bicarbonet
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon haldi powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 cloves
- 1pinch asoefotida
- 2 meddium onions
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Chop the ginger finely and keep aside.
- Roughly tear the mint leaves.
- Now mix besan, finely chopped ginger, yogurt, cumin seeds, haldi powder salt to taste, red chili powder.
- Add 1 pinch of soda bicarbonate.
- Add water as required and knead it into a stiff dough.
- Divide it into 6 equal parts and then make cylindrical shapes of the dough and keep aside.
- Create the onions and keep aside, whisk the yogurt with red chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder.
- Boil water in a pan. Add oil (1teaspoon) to the pan and let the water boil till bubbling.
- Add the cylindrical dough to the boiling water and let them boil for 10-15 minutes.
- When boiled, sieve the cylindrical gattas and keep the drained water reserved for gravy.
- Cut the sieved cylindrical gattas into 1 inch pieces and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai (wok) and let heat. Put the 1 inch pieces in the wok and deep fry the pieces until light golden brown in color. Keep the gatta pieces on the absorbent paper to soak off excess ghee.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds to the pan and let them splutter.
- Add cloves and asafetida and sauté on low flame for 1 minute. Add the grated onions and sauté on high flame till pinkish in color.
- Reduce the flame and add the yogurt mixed with spices. Cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the gatta and the reserved water in which gattas were boiled.
- Cook on low heat until the gravy thickens.
- Add garam masala and salt to taste and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
You are now ready to serve the gatta curry hot with chapattis.