The Indo-Chinese flavors of the Chili Chicken !!
Chili Chicken is one of the delicious and easy chinese recipes which can be served with noodles, chowmein, and even schezwan rice. The dish can be made a bit dry and be used as a non-veg starter and can even be made with a little curry to make it a non-veg main course. The chili chicken is best when cooked with boneless chicken; however, some people prefer the dish to be cooked with chicken with bones. Hope you enjoy the spicy and delicious and of course easy recipe of Chili Chicken.
Recipe – Chili Chicken
20 minutes for preparation, 15 minutes for cooking
- 500 grams boneless chicken
- 1 medium size capsicum
- 1 medium size onion
- 2 strands spring onions
- 2 green chilies
- 50 grams cornflour
- 1 egg
- 2 sweet corns
- 4 red chilies
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- 3 tablespoon vinegar
- 5 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 8 black peppercorns
- Salt as per taste
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ajinomoto
- 1 cup oil
- Marinade the chicken pieces in vinegar with 3 spoons of ginger garlic paste for around 7-8 hours.
- You can even leave it for marination for just 30 minutes. However, I saw best results with longer marination timing.
- Please note I do not add salt to the marination here since it will let the chicken release all its water and will make the chicken too dry when cooked.
- Chop onion, capsicum, and sweet corn into cubes. Slice the green chilies into halves.
- Chop the spring onions into small pieces.
- Cut red chilies into diagonal pieces.
- Chop the ginger and garlic into small pieces.
- Prepare a solution of cornflour and water.
- After the marination is over, sieve off the chicken pieces along with the ginger garlic paste and press the pieces hard with your hands so that excess vinegar is removed. Prepare a batter using cornflour, egg and salt.
- Now put the chicken pieces in the batter. Place a wok on high flame and add oil to it.
- Once the oil is hot enough deep fry the chicken pieces placed in the batter.
- Place the chicken pieces on a paper to absorb excess oil.
- Do not through away the batter you will need it later again.
- Add 2 spoons of oil in the frying pan.
- Add red chilies and then chopped ginger and garlic.
- Add more garlic if you want. This will give a nice flavor to the chili chicken.
- Add the cashew nuts and saute for next 2 minutes.
- Add diced onions and capsicum. Sprinkle crushed black peppercorns.
- Add worcestershire sauce and sweet chili sauce. Add ajinomoto, pinch of sugar, and salt to taste. Add the solution of cornflour and water. Cook for 1 minute and then add the chicken pieces. Now cook until the gravy is thick.
- You can garnish the chili chicken with chopped spring onions if required. This is entirely optional.
You are now ready to serve the hot chili chicken with chowmein or chinese fried rice.