Baigan ka Bharta from the villages of Uttar Pradesh
Baigan ka Bharta has a number of variations depending on the locations in India. Nearly every other state of India has a minor twist to the easy recipe of baigan ka bharta. Here comes the baigan ka bharta from the villages of Uttar Pradesh, which is best when served with Litti. A complete filling food, best for the winters and a yummy treat to the taste buds is ready for you to try.
Recipe – Baigan ka Bharta
20 minutes for preparation, 10 minutes for cooking
- 1 large round baigan
- 3 large potatoes
- 1 large tomato
- 1 large onion
- 5-6 flakes garlic
- 2 green chilies
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil
- Roast the potatoes and let them cool.
- When cooled, peel them and keep aside.
- Roast the tomato and peel it and keep aside.
- Make a slit on the baigan (eggplant, aubergine) and see to it that its fine inside.
- Now place the baigan on direct heat to cook completely till the inner sides. Once done, peel of the burnt skin of the baigan and keep aside.
- Chop onions roughly. Chop garlic and green chili into small pieces.
- Mash the boiled potatoes, tomato and the roasted baigan together.
- Mix chopped green chilies, 1 tablespoon mustard oil and salt to taste. Mash well into a fine paste.
- Add the prepared paste of potatoes, tomato and baigan.
Mix well and there you are… ready to serve the yummy baigan ka bharta with yummy bati and dal.