The recipe from Master Chef India – Season 1
Amritsar’s famous Amritsari Karela Bharawan is one of the best recipes of Punjab. Amritsari Karela Bharawan is not as bitter as the normal karela recipes and is also good for beating the summer heat. Amritsari Karela Bharawan has an unique flavor just like the unique and good people of Amritsar. Hope you enjoy the delicious recipe!!
Recipe – Amritsari Karela Bharawan
30 minutes for preparation, 20 minutes for cooking
- 2 round bitter gourd (karela)
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon aamchur
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 onions
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 7-8 cashew nuts (kaju)
- 12-13 kismiss
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoon mustard oil
- Peel the karela and de-seed them.
- Apply salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder on the inner and outer part of the karela and leave aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Leaving the karela this way decreases the bitterness. Even better if the karela can be kept in sunlight after applying the spices, which helps in reducing the bitterness even more!!
- Chop the onions and coriander leaves into small pieces (Better if the onion can be grated than chopped).
- Chop the kaju pieces into small pieces.
- Add oil to the pan and let heat.
- Shallow fry the karela till light brown.
- Remove the karela from the pan and keep aside.
- Add the karela chilka to the remaining oil in the pan and cook till light brownish in color.
- Add kaju, kismiss, salt and onions and mix well.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Add red chili powder, aamchur, chopped coriander leaves, fennel seeds (saunf) and 2 table spoon mustard oil.
- Mix well. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the gas and let the stuffing masala cool.
- Once the prepared masala has cooled down fill it in the karelas and fry until brown.
You are now ready to serve the Amritsari Karela Bharawan with Dhaba Dal Tadka and Tandoori Rotis.